Sunday, November 15, 2009

Butterscotch Pie

Photobucket
As you know (or in case you didn't), a good ol' southern tradition is to serve a dessert on the Sunday dinner table. This is a tradition that I continue to adhere to for my family, friends, and visitors. I want it to be ONE thing they can always count on. This evening, my family will be enjoying a nice old pot of Homemade Chicken Noodle soup, served with saltines of course, and for dessert ~ Butterscotch Pie. It is one of my husband's favorites, and I knew it wasn't on the menu for Thanksgiving, so I wanted to make him feel a bit special today. This is another one of those things I don't cook enough, but would be thoroughly enjoyed by all.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups MILK -- warmed
3 egg yolks -- beaten
2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 pie crust -- baked

TOPPING:
3 egg whites -- beaten stiff
1 pinch salt
4 tablespoons powdered sugar

In top of double boiler, combine brown sugar, cornstarch, flour, salt and enough milk to make a paste. Add egg yolks until mixed in well. Then add remaining milk.Stir and keep stirring until it thickens. This does take a bit of time. Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla stir until well combined then pour into cooked pie crust. Combine the topping ingredients to make the meringue and spread over filling and bake in 400 degree oven for 5 minutes or until brown.

**I have also made this using a graham cracker crust and cool whip for the topping vs the meringue. It was a hit. Another thing I have done ontop of the graham cracker crust, is to coat with melted semi sweet chocolate (from Bakers ~ 2 blocks = 4 rectangles) and placed in freezer to set while making pudding. **

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is welcomed! Spam comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...