Thursday, September 2, 2010

An Open Prayer

an open prayer, because I feel led to share. YES I believe prayer should be private. YES I know what the bible says about a "boasting prayer" but that is not the intent of this prayer. I am simply baring it all, sharing it you because well... I trust you. And I feel led to share in this way. If you find it offensive, or prideful of me, I can only apologize because again it is NOT my intent.

Dear Gracious Heavenly Father,
I thank you Lord for loving me the way you do. The small intimate moments we have that are too numerous to share and mention but you and I know so very well. Thank you Father for waking me during the night when I was dreaming and things just got weird and then lulling me back to peaceful sleep so quickly. Thank you for helping me wake up early. I thank you Lord that you call to us when we sometimes don't realize we need to call to you. Thank you for never leaving me or forsaking me. Your Word is true, faithful and just.

Lord, I thank you for the changes in the seasons, and the changes that happen before. Not only in the atmosphere, but in my heart. I always feel such a closeness to you this time of year, and on the brink of Spring. Your creation amazes me. YOU amaze me.

I pray today that I can be a vessel for you. What would you have me to do today Lord? What is it that you have on my agenda? And honestly, what can I do? Help me to know clearly that it is you who is leading me and showing me the way. Help me to embrace the quiet of the day (even when things are not so quiet) enough to be able to hear your small voice. Lord give me the words to say to those little children and the big ones we call adults in my day, that will bring encouragement, joy, and a deeper longing for you. Father move me into a different level with you then I have ever been before. Hold me closer then you ever have before. Lord draw me unto you tightly, so that I can smell the sweet aroma of you. May the words of my mouth be a sweet perfume to you.

I pray that I can hold onto the values you have taught me about food today Lord. I want to get to that hungry feel, just as a reminder to pray and thank you for hunger today. I haven't been waiting each meal for that hunger growl, but instead getting back wrapped up in eating at a "time". Help me to understand the importance of waiting (even if it is 10 minutes or an hour or two). I thank you for the yummy food that you have blessed our family with this week. The amazing variety and abundance. Help me to make the right choices for my body, for each bite to have purpose. To move my body in a way that glorifies you, and blessed my temple. I want what I do to be done in obedience to you, so I need to hear you very clearly. As I sometimes have doubt not at your ways, but at my ability, please show me that I am doing what I need to be.

Father I pray that you  use me in my classroom in ways you have never been able to before. Help me understand how to deal with each child in a way that I haven't understood before. As a mom, help me to relate to my children, the way you relate to us. Help me to see them as you see them. Help me Lord, to know the needs my husband has and my purpose in filling those needs. Draw Joel close to you, more so then you ever have before. I love you Lord, and I just want to glorify You in all that I say and do. I want to be HOLY and RIGHTEOUS before you, and I surely can't do that alone.

Thank you for leading me, guiding me, and calling me to you.
In Jesus Name I pray,
AMEN
One of the ways I learned to really pray was by reading The Power of a Praying Woman, and digging into many books (fictional "Yada Yada prayer group" series) and see it done. My momma never really prayed out loud in front of us kids, so I wasn't ever sure that I was doing it right. I have made it a purposeful practice to pray out loud in front of my children often. I want them to know HOW to communicate with the Father, without intimidation. May God use my open prayer to Him, to lead someone into a deeper prayer life with Him.

Love in Christ,
Mrs. Sheila
“He must increase, but I must decrease.” – John 3:30

4 comments:

  1. beautiful prayer.... I gree with you in allyou prayed. God bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being raised a Mormon, this was ALWAYS, three time a day, my prayer:
    "Dear Heavenly Father-
    Thank you for this day.
    Please bless....
    In the name of JC, Amen"
    Those words still stick in my mind and make me cringe with religious disgust to hear them. I cannot even think "Heavenly Father" without associating thoughts of "The preisthood" and all the Mormon religious activities that goes with that... Urrgggg!
    With that said, Power of a Praying Woman/Wife/Mother was the best investment I've ever made! I wrote out prayers, unique, specific, individual prayers for each of my children, my DH and myself, and as I pray them outloud (although reading) 4-5 times a week, I am getting the hang of it. And THEY WORK! My middle child was having major behavioural problems at home, but more distressingly at school, but they have GONE! She's my little angel again. Anyway, God Bless you Sheila!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Annalisa
    "Those words still stick in my mind and make me cringe with religious disgust to hear them. I cannot even think "Heavenly Father" without associating thoughts of "The preisthood" and all the Mormon religious activities that goes with that... Urrgggg!"
    Wow. My heart actually was saddened by that part of your comment ~ because it made me feel like you were "disgusted" by my prayer. When I say "Gracious Heavenly Father" I MEAN it... I adore Him, and He is more above any father figure I have had on this earth. It isn't just some "religious" name that I call Him, it is heartfelt and out of honor. Careful not to allow past hurts cause judgement on current situations or people.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback is welcomed! Spam comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...