Monday, October 22, 2018

Choosing Experience over Remembering the Details


I am finding myself at a new season, or in the least a refreshed season, in my life lately. One where I am once again letting go of taking in details, and instead embracing the experience for ... well, the experience. Nothing more, nothing less. 




I frustrate my husband because I can't seem to remember the details of the twins' football games, and to be honest, it was beginning to bother me too. I  mean, I know I am getting older (if you want to count 45 as older LOL) but I am seriously struggling to share details of the games with him. Then I get all flustered because I can't really remember or relate the details of the play with him like I want to.

Let's go back a few days. There I was taking in the game on Friday, relishing in the edge of your seat plays, the sounds of the band & cheer sqaud, and enjoying listening to excited chatter around me. I just sat there. Taking it in. Nothing more, nothing less. Then after the game I came home and joined my husband at a friend's house down the street to enjoy some adult conversation. We weren't there very long, but it was nice. Came home, messed around the house some, not really wanting to let the night go to bed so I stayed up until one of the twins came in from his celebratory after the winning game fun time at Wataburger (town tradition). I then went to bed at 2am! LOL Who am I?!

Saturday, when I arose, I group texted our teens (the one who lives out of town happened to be in town this weekend) to see if they still wanted to have a late morning movie date! Bought the tickets and got ready for the day. We went to watch Halloween, and I can say it was a fun time. I sat there ~ enjoying every  moment! The movie was decent, but the time with the kids and enjoying little side jokes and humor on the side, laughing, and simply just being was what made my heart soften some.

Later that afternoon I decided to drive to a corner store, where I bumped into a former preschool family from a few years ago. They are such a fun family, and always have something up their sleeve. To say that their family enjoys life to the fullest is an understatement! The Dad was dressed as a priest, the mom a Nun & the son a Ninja! HA! So when I go into the store I ask the clerk "What does a priest, a nun and a ninja have in common?" He laughed and said "I don't know what?" So, my clever answer was "They are all together in a truck outside of your store!". HAHA He did laugh but he told me that at first he thought he was real! LOL He said "I even called him 'Father'!" LOL I laughed so hard I almost had tears in my eyes.

It was in that moment that I realized what was happening. I was learning to enjoy the moment for what it is. A gift. A gift of NOW. A gift that can't be given by anyone else, but simply by letting go of the need to retain the details and enjoy the moment for what it is. See my first inclination was "I need to go share this on Facebook" and I realized that no, I really didn't. I can keep some of these amazing fun things to myself, at least for a little while. The only reason I am sharing it with you here on the blog, is that I wanted to show what I meant on a personal level and how I came to the realization of what really has been going on! I was seriously thinking something was happening inside my brain. And I guess you can say there was ~ but it was a good thing, not a negative one!

I challenge you today, this week, the rest of this year to begin to choose the experience over remembering the details so that you can share with someone else. See, letting go of that is what truly let me see what I was missing out on. I was missing out on the greatness of this moment of now even though I was right there. And to me that is sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is welcomed! Spam comments will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...